Sunday, March 10, 2019

Adaptive Technology

I am often asked how do I use this or that piece of technology. So to simplify things, I figured I’d write some about the adaptive technology I use everyday. Now, I am out of the loop on the latest that is out there; when you have to pay for things yourself, it tends to make one less exuberant to always be on top of the trend. So I will talk about what I use and any of my friends feel free to include what they use that I may have overlooked or been unaware of.

Let’s start with the computer and smart phone, as I would say those are the most two common devices I am asked about. For both, the answer is very similar. There are apps that can be downloaded that will convert text on the computer or phone screen into spoken speech. I can then, using various keyboard or gesture commands, interact with what I’m hearing. So, with these awesome programs for which I am very thankful, I can read email, write documents, make spreadsheets, browse the internet or send text messages. As to phones, I sometimes make use of Google’s voice recognition for texting, but I find this usually more annoying than helpful. It often gets words incorrect and I find it is so much easier to just type out the text using my wireless keyboard.

Now let’s take printed material, like mail. Now my usual fix for this is just to ask Luke :) but there are apps that have been developed for phones, that can take a picture of the document, using the phone’s camera and then the picture can be recognized and the text read aloud. It really is quite incredible. I don’t utilize this myself, as honestly, what printed material I do have to work through can be done with Luke’s help just as quickly and easily. But for those who don’t have a sighted family member nearby, these apps are amazing things! As of yet, I’m not familiar with anything that can recognize handwritten text, which given the variety and styles of handwriting makes sense. The technology has come a long way in this area though; I remember using a stand-alone, large and bulky machine that scanned a page at a time and then would read it aloud, after a bit of processing time per page. Then, it was shaved down to the computer and its scanner and now it’s in the phone. That technology is becoming smaller and more accurate and it is exciting.

Now, let’s go to something a bit more mundane, household appliances. There are a few ways to do this. I have a braille labeler, which I can use to type out braille labels that can then be taped on the spot on the screen, buttons or dials etc. Or, I can use the lazier method, and put pieces of tape on the appropriate spot. This is how I have my oven, microwave and washer/drier labeled and it gets the job done. Not everything has to be high tech. :)

I suppose the last one to tackle is driving. I usually get rides from my husband :) or uber. There is also the bus system but that usually takes much longer to get anywhere that way. I am excited to see if self-driving cars will take off, no pun intended there :). While I’m a bit nervous about the concept, it would also mean so much freedom for me and so many others. It would be quite an experience, that’s for sure.

Well, I hope this has given you an interesting look into my world and how I get things done. I am so glad to have been born in the late 20th century, when so many technological breakthroughs have been happening. That is something I never want to take for granted.