Sunday, February 24, 2019

Featured Articles and Podcasts

I am a wife, mother and writer who happens to be completely blind. I started writing because people seemed interested in our rather unique family situation.  My husband is currently the only sighted member; we are raising two blind children, whom we adopted from Eastern Europe.I am expecting our third child in April, my first pregnancy. I have my msw from Florida State University and have worked as a case manager at a homeless shelter, in a group foster home and have taught adaptive technology and directed a summer camp for blind and sighted kids.
I began writing about adoption, parenting and blindness issues on this blog, back in August of 2018.  It took some time and a lot of encouragement from my wonderful husband, but I finally decided to submit some of my writing to other parenting sites. I thought perhaps my perspective would be interesting and informative to some but it was still a huge step to take that leap.
This is a list of articles that have been published outside my blog. I hope you will enjoy reading them and feel free to share any that you think your friends might find interesting and/or amusing. :)

Scary Mommy

I’m a Blind Mom Raising blind Kids, Here’s What I’d Like You to Know


My Blind Daughter was Called Wierd by Another Kid


the Mighty

Learning What it Means to be a Blind Mom


What Does Independence Mean
I'm Blind, Not Deaf


Filter Free Parents

Three Questions Never to Ask a Family that Has Adopted




Her View from Home

The Work of Marriage Matters

For Every Mom

 When Being a Mother Didn't Make Me Feel Happy
Four Years Later: a Letter of Encouragement to My New Mom Self


Fellow Moms, Let's Include Our Kids in the Holiday Work

 Learning to Serve my children

 Inspire More

 A Lesson in Strength From My Ten Year Old Son 
I'm a Blind Mother Parenting Blind Children 
Witnessing Strangers Become Siblings 
Experiencing the Grand Canyon Without Sight 
Adoption Matters: a Story of Four Boys

Podcasts

Revive

Episode: 06/11/2019

Real Talk: All Things Inclusion

 Episode 84 08/23/2019

The Adverse Effect

 Episode 33: A Blind View with Ashley Wayne