Monday, January 14, 2019

How Do I Homeschool My Blind children?

I am asked quite often how exactly do I homeschool my kids? I think this is a fair question as they are both blind and so am I. The assumption that it would look a bit different is quite fair. However, when I am asked this question, I have found that what people usually mean by it is what program or curriculum do I use? After all, most homeschooling families either seem to have the one curriculum they swear by or will use one curriculum for certain subjects and another for others. I don't, as of yet, utilize any set curriculum, so this can make this a more difficult question to answer succinctly.

I suppose the best way I can summarize my current approach (that's one of the awesome things about homeschooling, I can be so flexible) is that I take each subject in turn and try and map out what aspects of that subject my kids, at their age and development level, need to know. This isn't set in stone, it can be changed if one or both seem to be struggling in a certain area of a subject. I then will buy, if need be, tactile tools to teach those aspects or utilize things I already have around the house. So in essence, I am not relying on an already prepared curriculum (although there is nothing wrong with those) but I am putting together one on my own and finding the right tools that will work well with my kids. Let me give a couple examples that I hope will make this a bit clearer.

Let's start with phonics. It was fairly easy for me to teach letter recognition and corresponding sounds. I bought tiles that have embossed print letters on them that can be felt. I also have various magnet letter variations, which help them in recognizing letters in slightly different forms.

Once they had the basic recognition and sound/s of each letter fairly well known, the next natural step seemed to be to then move to blends or combinations of letter sounds, such as cl or ch or st. Once this foundation was set, I could then move on to spelling, utilizing the knowledge we had worked on from the previous lessons. I teach these concepts very informally, often in game form and so far it is working quite well. Jon in particular, is a good speller. This progression from phonics to spelling then naturally moves on to reading, first simple words, then simple sentences. I do utilize resources on the internet, particularly for sentence samples or word lists, but I don't rely on them. I am putting it together from my own mental faculties and just what would be common sense for them to learn at their age.

I'll give one more example, geography. Now this may seem an odd thing for me to consider with my 5 year old, but I see no reason why she shouldn't start to have a grasp of the world. So I started with her a year and a half ago, just by memorizing states and capitals. We started with states that she had a connection to, such as where relatives lived or where we had previously visited. She would learn those and then ask me for more.

After a few months, I could tell she was getting bored with straight memorization, so out of curiosity to see if she could grasp this, I bought her a US puzzle map. I thought perhaps seeing the states in physical relation to each other would make this subject more interesting for her. I was, in this case, correct and she now knows well over half the map.

Neither of these examples are are the exact way I approach a subject each day. . I am finding it so far to be a very fluid approach and a lot of trail and error. I gage how well they are grasping a concept of a subject and I can either back off to a simpler/basic concept or move forward in that subject if need be. I imagine, as they get older, that I will eventually use an already prepared, written curriculum, but for now, I see no need. I enjoy the freedom of this method and while at times it is challenging to come up with the lessons on my own, it is stretching and growing me. I am finding I can teach on my own, putting together my own lesson plans. I am seeing progress, Lexy is starting to grasp braille. I have been working with her for almost a year and it has been so nice to not feel rushed or pressured by a set book and its pace. I don’t have to rush her to be at a certain point, that is very freeing for both of us.